Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vintage Wedding Double Scrapbook Layout

We are home from work today helping my son pack up for the big day tomorrow. He'll be heading off for his Freshman year at Ball State University. He is pretty excited and nervous. We feel the same way...torn between excitement for him, and beginning to feel lost without him. However, we are very proud of him and will soon settle into this next phase of life...empty nest!

Now that I'm feeling all sentimental, it is the perfect time to share the first few pages of a new project. When we cleaned out my parents' condo, I found their wedding album and it pretty much fell apart in my hands. So, I brought all of their 8 x 10 original wedding photographs home with me. The goal is to preserve them, and I feel the best way to do that is to get them into a photo safe album that will hopefully last even longer than the first one. In order to have the pictures available for reprint, I first scanned each one and saved them in a separate folder (and backed them up). Then, came the fun part where I could get a little creative.

Here is the first page of the album. The flowers are from a tube that I purchased quite awhile back. I like their vintage look. I used some paper punched flowers to add to the centers and pick up the pastels of their wedding colors. The swirls are cut from with the Sweethearts Cricut cartridge. I like the soft tone-on-tones paper together with the newsprint.

The base paper for all of my layouts is from StampinUp. The entire pack is full of 4 different variations of newsprints. I thought it was perfect because of the faded, yellow look in the pictures. Neither black nor white seemed to work for me. I like the look of the newsprint, and I think that my parents will too. They have a pretty laid back, eclectic, casual and simple style. All of the photos are black and white or should I say cream and gray now that they've faded quite a bit. I found a newspaper article that described the pastel colors of the bridesmades dresses and the flowers, so my color scheme will match. 

I love how thre black titling really pops. I will use this throughout the album to help tie it all together. The font is from Quarter Note cricut cartridge. The flowers are handmade using layers of scalloped scircles. After punching them out I wadded each one up individually and then layered 3 together to give it depth. The other smaller flowers are created with a SU punch that cuts 3 different types of small flowers at the same time. I used these as centers of the larger flowers and added a gemstone for the very center. There won't be much journalling in the album, but I did add a description here of my Mother's wedding gown. All of this information came from the same article in the newspaper. I'm so glad that she saved that article because it really made these old photographs come alive for me. I typed out the description and printed it on cardstock using my commputer printer. I then matted it to match the photos on the page.  

Here are the two pages together.  

Thanks for stopping by....You'll be seeing more of these layouts really soon. It's been such a fun project so far. I've finished about 3/4 of the project already! Can't wait to finish it up. Scrappin time has been minimal lately....sad face.

No comments:

Post a Comment